Friday, May 1, 2009

Cribs cribs Cribs

So basically here is my story. We are stuck in a small house where the baby will have to share a room with us (but cannot co sleep due to Hubby) until probably estimated around ....When the baby is 6 months old. Maybe sooner or maybe later. I don't know...

After that the baby will have his own nursery of course. So we have been weighing the options of Bassinet, Cradle, Crib, Co- Sleeper, or Pack and Play

Bassinet ~ Pros are small won't take up much room, Its one of the cheapest options to start out with and gives us more time to save for the crib we want. Cons it won't last long possibly not the 6 months, The cats will use the storage basket as their own personal bed (not really a con we expect it lol)Most of them rock and that would seem annoying to me. Our favorite is the Zen Bassinet by Fisher-Price

Cradle ~ Pro's are it will be sturdier than the Bassinet??, The same price estimate as the bassinet, No storage basket underneath, Cons are Baby might outgrow it too soon, no storage underneath, rocking would seem to be annoying to put a sleeping baby in it. Da Vinci Futura Cradle in Cherry

Crib ~ Pro's Once all buy all meaning I won't have to buy anything else hopefully till the child reaches school age or preschool. All About Baby has a floor model for $800 (including alot of pieces of furniture not just the crib) Con's We don't have that money in the bulk of it to put on a crib, It takes up more room, Newborns usually don't like Cribs, its the most expensive of options out there....but the long term investment is better. I dunno part of me wants to just get like a cheap Jenny Lind (not my favorite things) until we move or save the money for a crib....
My top three cribs are the Babies Dream Crib (even if we don't get the floor model the crib itself is one of the cheaper ones but with the sturdiest wood.. I need to see if I can find reviews on it. Serenity Crib

Basset Baby Star Dreams Lifetime Crib

Co-Sleepers Pro's and cons are The baby can practically share the bed with me it might be easier to breastfeed I don't know since the probability of myself having a c-section it might be hard to fish the baby out lol. The displays at Babies R Us didn't seem so sturdy, I have read reviews that they didn't exactly fit up to the bed (we don't have a frame for our bed? This is probably a Con, Arms Reach

Pack and Plays Pro's are we have to buy one anyways due to heavy travel schedule it looks like we could be traveling out of the state at least twice a month for an overnight trip. That may change. Rick has TDY's in Ft Campbell as of right now, We might have to make a few trips to sell our property in Texas as well as visit family, Also visiting my family in Georgia. Storage is a great pro for a P&P, They baby can still practically co-sleep with us. Con's We have to disassemble and reassemble every time we want to move it, Cleaning (not all sheets fit these pack and plays) It doesn't seem healthy for a baby?, Not sturdy, I do have cats it seems like it would attract them more. Rick will hit it see what I wrote below, It can take up as much room as a crib.

If I buy the same pattern as the Travel system will it sell better?
I have a Graco Travel System on layaway but at the time of this blog I am not sure what fabric it is. Its on hold at the PX and they only have one Graco Travel system.

However Rick seemed to like this one Chicco Lullaby LX- Adventure(Green/ Beige) and we saw this one in a magazine I thought looked cool...Ok so I looked and it looks like they don't have a "boy" version of the one i like by Baby Trend I have seen one at a Resale shop that had a removable bassinet this was a really cool feature! Not sure what kind it was anymore but I haven't seen anymore like it retail maybe it was a year or so old they change them so often. This one also has alot of side storage Jeep Trek Easy Travel Playard I guess these are the ones we like best plenty more on our registries... that we will also love to have. Oh and one last concern LOL LOL I know my husband the floors have to be totally clear because he doesn't watch where he is walking (yeah he will be pissed for me putting that but I guess he should LOL) He kicks or steps on things that are in his path... no matter the size. I know I will kick his butt every time he accidentally kicks trips or hits the baby's bed while they sleep. Either that or he will get so pissed its in his way that he will end up taking it down or moving it to somewhere I don't feel comfortable with it lol.

Here are the bedding options we have....
Peter Rabbit sorry about the picture quality the pictures of it are scarce online since I had this set originally when Skylar was a baby and it was discontinued then...



Wendy Bellissimo Sir Leaps alot to possibly Coordinate with Lambs and Ivy Froggy Tales Both are discontinued (yeah don't ask what my fascination with picking out discontinued bedding lol



And I have pieces of this and I think this is my FAVORITE although it gets bad reviews. I get it here at Kids Line Pop Star




Of course the others we like are We like Dogs, Monkey's, Transportation (PLANES and TRAINS), Camo, Bold Colors no characters if we can help it please :)


So help me with the Pros' and Cons. What do you think I should add? What did you buy and prefer?

21 comments:

Aundria said...

I used a wooden rocking cradle with my first, it was convenient and he stayed in it til around 6-7 months old. I've used a bassinet with my two little ones, but it was like a travel crib. I still use it as a play yard for my 2 yr old, as well! Just take out the top part, and BAM, playpen! You'll figure it out! :-)

Bella Stevens said...

Thank you Mrs Aundria!

Mo said...

ok i vote bassinet or a cosleeper. Aurora didn't make it into her own crib till nearly 5 months old, and fit fine in the bassinet we had.

Anonymous said...

Ok its been a LONG time since I had my own babies but I have looked at what is out there. Cradle if you don't like rocking is crazy because that is what they are menat for. Basinet isnt bad for short term. Personally I would go with the pack n play because they have the thing that sets in top for small babies and they are easy to take down and move. you can clean them easy with spray cleaner. Personaly I would NOT sleep with a baby in the bed as it is SO easy for the baby to get hurt or killed. I JUST had a friend fall asleep yesterday with his daughter on his chest. He woke up and stood up without thinking and dropped her. she had to go to the ER for stitches on her head. ACK

Anonymous said...

because we were confined to 1 room .. being all of us lol i had to say no to a crib and went ahead and got one of those travel pack n plays. She is still in it today too. So it has definitely helped us tremoundously when it came the small space issue and the fact that we could not Co sleep as well till we moved here. I just put it right next to myseid and it was tall enough to get her when I needed and keep my hand on her for her to be comforted. HTH

Mo said...

ok I know you want the fancy good looking stuff for your little one, but if you were into saving the $250 on that bassinet I have one we used for aurora that you can borrow, its got an underside storage, is a little longer than the one you're looking at, so it can be used longer (unless you're having a giant)
and free for that means you are the cost of a bassinet closer to a crib later.

Amber said...

We use a cradle at the foot of the bed. It has pins to stop the rocking. It was DH's when he was a baby and all of ours has slept in it. It lasts till about 6 months.
Have you checked Crasigslist for the bigger things you are looking for? People are always selling those larger crips for cheap.
As far as buying a matching everything it won't helpit sell any better when you are done. Some people, like me, kept the pack and play but got rid of the stroller when I had a second.
I vote for resale on the crib. They are overpriced and nobody ever wears them out. Good Luck.

Anonymous said...

hey girly...okay so with Jimmy I had a pack and play with that bassinet built in. We didn't have alot of money when Jimmy was born and we also didn't have enough room. I loved the playpin thing. your right not all crib sheets fit but..the liner that they use for playpins can be just wiped off..and i found that using a blanket and tucking it under the "matteres" was the easiest thing for us todo....I hope that helps

*~*Elizabeth*~* said...

bassinet.... Because it's easier and it doesn't take much room. I don't care for the cradle's at all. If you are in a small room no point in buying a crib. Kenleigh didn't sleep in a crib till she was six months old. I do not believe in co-sleeping because once you start that habit it's hell to get them out.. lol

*~*Elizabeth*~* said...

bassinet!!!! I do not like the crandle's just me I guess. I don't feel there safe as a bassinet. I had a bassinet that attached to my bed. It was really neat. Kenleigh didn't sleep in a crib till she was 6 months old. I also had a pack an play and OMG that was the best investment! :)

Bella Stevens said...

Ok this may sparks some debate but you asked...I wouldn't spend the money on a cradle or bassinet in your situation. The two best choices I see are co sleeping or the pack and play. I did the co-sleeping thing with mine until I healed enough to put them in the pack and play. Co-sleeping is great but if you plan on him being in his own room in 6 months or so I don't know if you want to build a habbit of the baby sleeping with you. I would hate to have to break that lol. Ok theres my opinion!
Posted suggestion from a Mommy group Thanks Shrilene

Bella Stevens said...

Cafe Mom Comment ~ by hopinforanotheron May. 1, 2009 at 11:21 AM
I personally don't use anything other than a crib...someone gave me a moses basket with my first and I used that for traveling in the early months. I recently saw them for cheap at Ross. I only resort to a pack n play if I absolutely have to...I personally don't like them. Honestly...I'd rather my baby sleep in a cradle swing or bouncer than a pack n play...it's just me....

Bella Stevens said...

Cafemom Comment ~ by Isaiahsmom92707on May. 1, 2009 at 11:29 AM
I'm using an Arms Reach Co-sleeper while the baby is tiny and still in our room. I think Isaiah was about 5 months before we switched him to the crib. I'll probably do the same with her. When we go out of town or to family's houses he sleeps in the pack n play. I couldn't live without my pack n play. I also use it for when I have to go do something and he needs to be contained lol I think when the new baby is little and we are out of town or whatever My son will still use the pack n play at first and I'm going to get a moses basket for her until she's too big for it, after she's too big for the moses basket, Isaiah will probably be too big for the pack n play and she can use it and he can use a bed or pallet on the floor or whatever. We go sleep at other peoples houses fairly often so I definitely need portable sleeping units. If you were only going to buy ONE thing I would say get the pack n play,...you can use the bassinet in the begining,..then it converts for a larger baby, and it's also portable incase you need to go out of town or whatever.

Bella Stevens said...

cafemom comment ~ by haleyleedyon May. 1, 2009 at 11:29 AM
love my arms reach co side sleeper

StaticNomad said...

Here's my view (which I am sure many will gasp at my thoughts but rest assured, my kids are all alive and well - and I didn't go broke while raising them. LOL):

1) I don't care how much money I have .. there is no way I'd spend more than $200 on a crib. Not even if it "grows" with them, because you cannot predict your future and what will happen. You could end up somewhere that prevents that crib from turning into a toddler bed/full size bed because of space and instead need bunk beds. Always think of the future, both in good terms and in bad terms just as you list the pros and cons for buying things.

2) My babies co-slept with me (all except one - who didn't like beds), in bed, without any fancy little do-dads. I was a mother, and I was more aware of a child in my bed than I was if my house caught fire. I knew their breathing patterns in my sleep, every little movement they made, and so forth. My husband slept opposite of me, and the baby stayed between me and the wall, but never did I have an issue where my kids even had a close call to dying in my bed. But that's just me. All of the kids are older now, and doing just fine.

3) Bassinets can be useful, but personally, I find them a waste of space. Some can be moved easily with rollers, some can't. Some swing, some don't. It's all in what you find appealing. For me? All of my kids had to be moved out of them by ONE month because they were already lifting their head and grabbing onto the sides of the bassinet on their belly. Every child I had, someone gave me a bassinet, and I tried them out .. they never worked out for me though. But I also had very big babies. So for me, I was entirely too uncomfortable with them sleeping in a bassinet or cradle. Especially when they wiggled as much as they did.

4) I had a pack n play. It was a life saver. The sheet problem was resolved, by me, by sewing the corners to fit and then buying some mattress no-slip ties and clipping the ends of the sheets together and tucking it under the mattress part. The kids had plenty of room to wiggle around, and if I wanted to bring them outside with me while I worked in the yard and they napped, I just took a blanket and put it over the top to keep the sun off them, while they slept comfortably. Packing it up was simple and quick. Unpacking it was just as effortless. You can buy some that are smaller, and not as big as cribs. You just have to look around. Oh, and they last a long time, even with one toddler climbing over the edge to "play" with his little sister. LOL I had a Cosco, a Graco, and an EvenFlo. All three survived the abuse of my children and saved me MUCH money in the long run.

Here are some links to various beds:
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3112864

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2957929&CAWELAID=126010954

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LPBQTI

http://search.happymothers.com/search.aspx?SH=QT1mdXJuaXR1cmV_Qj1mdXJuaXR1cmV_RD0xMn5JPVByaWNlfks9NH5MPTF_TT0xMzN_&SI=105d6e33-1546-48bc-a949-7ec1c011fb09&LAP=0&Action=2&AnswerID=2018

http://shopping.yahoo.com/s:Playpens%20&%20Play%20Yards:76606-Feature=Pack%20N%20Play

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&q=play+yard&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=rDn7ScbcHpLMMOywncQE&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&resnum=1&ct=title

Hopefully these help you. And of course, for all you know - you could end up sleeping on the couch with him because that's the only place he likes to sleep. LOL This happened to me with my first one. He would not sleep in a crib, or bed. He only slept in his swing. So, really ... don't stress too much over this part.

Crystal said...

I had a cradle that I put next to the bed for the boys. That way they weren't IN the bed with us, but I didn't have to get up to breast feed. It worked out well until he was big enough to go into the crib since he was a preemie. I loved the cradle because it was easy for me to move if I needed to bring it to another room. Of course, they didn't have pack and plays when mine was little.

Bella Stevens said...

Cafemom Comment~ by Aidensmommy511on May. 1, 2009 at 6:52 PM
get a porta-crib. they are around $100 at babies r us, can hold a child for just as long as a regular crib, and take up very little space. When my ds was born, i also had to share my bedroom with him and this is the solution we used. it worked out great! and when we no longer needed it, we gave the crib to my mother so he could sleep in it during visits. He used the porta-crib happily until he was almost 2 years old, and we only stopped because he learned how to climb out of it.

Bella Stevens said...

Cafemom Comment~ by arctophileon May. 1, 2009 at 2:23 PM
I'd go Pack & Play with the bassinet insert. We use a small travel bassinet when ours are newborns, then pack and play or mini crib, then toddler bed.

Bella Stevens said...

by carrielencon May. 1, 2009 at 1:23 PM
maby try looking in to a mini crib, we us a bassinet till 3 months then a crib, I don't co sleep for many reasons mostly because bed not big enough and trying to switch later is so hard and traumatic.

Bella Stevens said...

From Kristin

OK, this was a pain in the ass and I couldn't for some reason get my comment to post.

What I had tried to say was...it's a matter of personal choice.
I have had almost all the options of sleepers.
Had a bassinet which my son outgrew very quickly and was not worth the money spent.
Had a cradle which comes with locking pins to keep it from swinging, but the whole point of a cradle is to rock the baby to sleep. Sometimes though being a sleep deprived mother you may drift off and not put the pins in place which is no good once baby learns to turn over.
We also had the pack and play which I did not care for with the babies. The sleeping area was too hard and I did not feel it was good for their developing spines.
Crib seemed to be the best fit for us. Once we put the back sleeper in the crib it made it nice and cozy for the babies and worked the best.
But this is just my personal opinion.

Anonymous said...

Nice blog, here is some more information on Baby Stores.